Download the Free Watermelon Craft Template and make this Easy Watermelon Activity for Preschoolers. Find step-by-step instructions and Free Craft Printables on CraftingJeannie.com!
Check out this adorable paper watermelon slice! It’s too cute to eat! Kids will love making them. Get the Free Watermelon Craft Template below and you will be able to make enough supplies for a group of 20 kids (or more!) with about 10 minutes of cutting.
Did you know that watermelon is both a fruit and a vegetable?! Read more at MentalFloss.com.
Make this Watermelon craft for preschool while reading these Fun Books:
Here’s What You Need
Here’s your watermelon craft supply list (This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read my disclosure policy for more information):
- Free Watermelon Craft Template <— Get it Here!
- colored copy paper, colored cardstock, or construction paper
- glue sticks
- a pipe cleaner
- masking tape
Watch the Cute Watermelon Craft Video to do this simple watermelon activity for preschoolers.
Step 1: Download and Print the Free Template
Download the Free Watermelon Craft Template. You will be stapling the template to sheets of colored paper to cut out the shapes.
Step 2: Staple and Cut Out the Watermelon Craft Shapes
Once you have the print outs, staple them to construction paper and cut out the shapes you need.
Note: If you want to make this craft with a group of kids, you can staple the template to up to 10 sheets of copy paper, 5 sheets of cardstock or 5-8 sheets of construction paper.
So, did you know, you can staple together 10 pieces of copy paper and cut out 10 shapes at a time?! That’s my SECRET to fast & easy crafting. Stapling the paper is very important because it makes sure it doesn’t move as you cut. The more staples the better. Cardstock is the thickest so you may only be able to cut 5 sheets at a time.
Tip: While you’re cutting, if you cut off all parts of the pages that have staples, make sure to re-staple the sheets that are left. Whenever you’re cutting multiple sheets at a time, make sure they are always stapled together!
Step 3: How to Assemble
I recommend having a finished craft so the children can see what the final version will look like.
- Glue the red part of the watermelon behind the green part
- Optional: Use a green marker to add detail to the rind.
- Personalize your watermelon by drawing on a face and seeds.
- If adding hands – Cut a pipe cleaner in half.
- Tape the paper hands to one end of each pipe cleaner.
- Make sure the thumbs are pointing in before you attach the arms to the back of the paper watermelon.
- Tape the pipe cleaner arms to the back of the paper watermelon.
- Arrange the arms and hands however you like!
- Don’t forget to write your name on the back
Step 1: Glue the red part of the watermelon behind the green part.
Step 2: Optional: Use a green marker to add detail to the rind.
Step 3: Personalize your watermelon by drawing on a face and seeds.
Step 4: If adding hands – Cut a pipe cleaner in half.
Step 5: Tape the paper hands to one end of each pipe cleaner.
Step 6: Make sure the thumbs are pointing in before you attach the arms to the back of the paper watermelon.
Step 7: Tape the pipe cleaner arms to the back of the paper watermelon.
Step 8: Arrange the arms and hands however you like! Don’t forget to write your name on the back.
And you’re finished!
This is a great craft for summer time or a picnic. And it’s easy enough for preschool, elementary, Scouts or just a fun craft at home idea.
More Summer Crafts
If you liked this craft, check out some of my other Summer Crafts.
- Ice Cream Craft for Preschoolers
- Free Camping Coloring Sheets
- Free S’mores Craft Printable
- Fireworks Craft for Preschoolers
- Paper Sun Craft
As always, I try to make my crafts fast, easy & inexpensive. Enjoy!