Make this cool Chinese New Year Lantern Craft. Just Download the Free Chinese Lantern Printable for this fun toddler craft. Find step-by-step instructions and Easy Paper Crafts on CraftingJeannie.com!
Check out this cute and easy Chinese New Year Lantern Craft! Just use scrap paper or let your group of kids rip up their own. It’s such a great Chinese New Year activity for preschool, elementary classrooms, or crafts at home.
Get the Free Chinese New Year Lantern Printable below and you will be able to make enough supplies for a group of 20 kids (or more!) with only about 10 minutes of cutting.
Want More Chinese New Years’ Fun? Get these fun printables below:
In this 34-page PDF get lots of Chinese New Year activities. Think counting, matching, mazes & more. Your children will love completing all of these activities. And you’ll love having a whole day’s worth of activities printed in the next 5 minutes ..wooohoo
Or, grab this awesome printable Bingo it comes with 50 Unique cards:
Here’s What You Need
Here’s your scrap paper lantern craft supply list (This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read my disclosure policy for more information):
- Free Chinese New Year Lantern Printable <— Get it Here!
- colored copy paper, colored cardstock, or construction paper (use scraps!) – You can also use tissue paper
- glue sticks or white school glue
Make this Chinese New Year craft while reading these Fun Books:
Step 1: Download and Print the Free Lantern Template
Download the Free Chinese New Year Lantern Printable and print out as many lanterns as you need. You can choose between a plain lantern and one that includes the words “Happy New Year”
Step 2: Cutting Up Scrap Paper
You may already have a stash of scrap construction paper. For this Chinese New Year Lantern craft you’ll need red and yellow (if you’re using the traditional Chinese Lantern colors). Otherwise, make the lanterns any color you choose.
Just grab you paper cut it into small shapes or let the kids rip it as they make the craft.
If you plan to cut paper for this craft, just cut strips of paper about one inch wide. Stack and line up your strips of paper to cut multiple sheets at a time.
Tip: This craft uses more paper scraps than you think!
Step 4: How to Assemble
Remember, especially with this craft, kids each work at their own pace so you will have some that finish quickly and some that are much slower.
Tip: Make sure to bring extra construction paper because this craft uses more than you think!
- red scrap paper goes on the main part of the lantern. Yellow scrap paper goes on the top and bottom areas.
- grab a piece of scrap paper
- either paint some white school glue on the back or rub it onto the top of your glue stick
- push the paper piece onto to the tree where you want it
- continue until the tree is full – try to stay in the lines
- Optional: Add gold glitter to your lantern to make it shine
- Optional : Add stickers, shapes, or draw to decorate your lantern
- Don’t forget to put your name on the back.
And you’re finished
This is a great Chinese New Year craft. And it’s easy enough for preschool, elementary classrooms, Scouts or just a fun craft at home idea.
More New Year Crafts
If you liked this craft, check out some of my other New Year Crafts for kids:
As always, I try to make my crafts fast, easy & inexpensive. Enjoy!