Are you ready to do a construction vehicle craft? This Excavator craft moves! Find step-by-step instructions and Free Templates for Craft Printables on CraftingJeannie.com!
Do your kids love construction vehicles? Digging, grinding, lifting and getting dirty are so much fun! No dirt with this craft, just paper and glue.
Get the Free Excavator Printable below and you will be able to make enough supplies for a group of 20 kids (or more!) with only about 10 minutes of cutting.
Do you want more transportation themed fun? With the Transportation Activity Party Pack you can entertain your kiddos for hours! It includes 11 different activities and 2 craft templates!
Watch the Excavator Craft video and see how easy it is to make the supplies and assemble this construction vehicle craft:
Did you know that an excavator is also called a digger or a mechanical shovel? Read more at Wikipedia.com.
Here’s What You Need
Here’s your Easy Excavator Craft supply list (This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read my disclosure policy for more information):
- Free Excavator Printable <— Get it Here!
- colored copy paper, colored cardstock, or construction paper
- glue sticks
- brass fasteners
Step 1: Download and Print the Free Excavator Craft Template
Download the Free Excavator Printable. In the next step, learn how to quickly cut out as many shapes as you need.
Step 2: Staple and Cut Out the Construction Craft Shapes
Once you have the excavator template printed out, staple it to construction paper and cut out multiple shapes at a time.
Note: If you want to make this craft with a group of kids, you can staple the template to up to 10 sheets of copy paper, 5 sheets of cardstock or 6-10 sheets of construction paper.
So, did you know, you can staple together 10 pieces of copy paper and cut out 10 shapes at a time?! That’s my SECRET to fast & easy crafting.
Stapling the paper is very important because it makes sure it doesn’t move as you cut. The more staples the better. Cardstock is the thickest so you may only be able to cut 5 sheets at a time.
Step 3: How to Assemble
The kids will have so much fun making this construction craft!
I recommend having a excavator that is already put together so the children can see what the final version will look like.
- start with the large yellow part of the excavator
- glue on the black track at the bottom of the excavator
- glue on the black window
- glue the white circles onto the black track
- place the arm pieces where you want them
- poke the brass fastener through both pieces of paper (arm and truck) to connect the first part of the arm to the main part of the excavator
- flip the truck over and bend the brass fastener pieces down so that it stays in place. Tip: don’t push it too tight or it wont move smoothly
- repeat this process to add the final two pieces of the arm with the brass fasteners
- don’t forget to write your name on the back
And you’re finished!
This is such a fun and simple construction craft for kids. This paper excavator is perfect for a Things That Go or Construction Vehicle lesson plan. And it’s easy enough for preschool, elementary, Scouts or just a fun craft at home idea.
More Vehicle Crafts
If you liked this craft, check out some of my other Vehicle Crafts:
- Easy Paper Bulldozer
- Cement Truck Craft
- Easy Airplane Craft
- Pickup Truck Craft
- Race Car Craft Template
As always, I try to make my crafts fast, easy & inexpensive. Enjoy!