Want to make a fun ornament craft? Quickly make the supplies for this personalized ornament craft made with printable scrabble tiles!
This Easy Ornament Craft is perfect for Preschoolers, Kindergarteners and kids of all ages!
Your children will love making this ornament craft and including thier with scrabble tiles. It’s so fun to have all of the letters in front of you and decide which words to make. The best part is that it’s such an adorable ornament when it’s all finished!!
Get the Free Ornament Craft Printable below and you will be able to make enough supplies for a group of 20 kids (or more!) with only about 15 minutes of cutting.
Do you want more Christmas fun? My Christmas Activity Packet will entertain kids for hours. It includes 24 printable activities and 2 craft templates!
Did you know Scrabble letter frequency was decided based on the front page of The New York Times? Read more at Mentalfloss.com
Here’s What You Need
Here’s your Paper Scrabble Ornament supply list (This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read my disclosure policy for more information):
- Free Ornament Craft Printable <— Get it Here!
- colored copy paper, colored cardstock, or construction paper
- glue sticks or school glue
- rubber bands (if you plan to make it into an ornament)
Step 1: Download and Print the Free Ornament Template including the Printable Scrabble Tiles
Download the Free Scrabble Ornament Printable. In the next step, learn how to use the template pages to make all the scrabble ornament supplies you need for your group of kids.
Step 2: Staple and Cut Out the Basic Shapes
Once you have the paper bow template printed, staple it to construction paper and cut out multiple shapes at a time.
Note: If you want to make this craft with a group of kids, you can staple the template to up to 10 sheets of copy paper, 5 sheets of cardstock or 5-8 sheets of construction paper.
So, did you know, you can staple together 10 pieces of copy paper and cut out 10 shapes at a time?! That’s my SECRET to fast & easy crafting.
Stapling the paper is very important because it makes sure it doesn’t move as you cut. The more staples the better. Cardstock is the thickest so you may only be able to cut 5 sheets at a time.
Cut out strips of green paper for the base rectangle
There is a rectangle included in the template, but this may not be long enough if children will be using their names or longer words like “Peace”.
Instead of using a template, it’s easier to stack 5-8 pieces of green construction paper and cut out strips about 2 inches wide. And then, bring extra green paper when you’re doing the craft to be prepared for longer words.
Step 3: Download and Print the Scrabble letter Template
I’ve included LOTS of scrabble letters in the PDF for you – Seven pages worth! I really love printing them directly onto brown construction paper.
How to Print or Copy the Letters Directly Onto Construction Paper
Just trim the brown construction paper to the 8×10 size using copy paper as a template (you should easily be able to trim multiple sheets at a time). Then feed them into the printer or copier.
Also, if you can adjust your printer settings to “draft” quality or a setting that uses less ink, that might be helpful as well. Construction paper is pretty notorious for absorbing liquid.
Just print or use the copier to make as many letters as you need. Use the scrabble letters to spell Christmas words like “Joy”, “Noel” and “Peace”. Or let the children spell their names.
Cutting Out The Scrabble Letters
In the template, each page of letters is lined-up in rows and columns. The template is designed to be printed and then stacked so that you can cut the letters from multiple pages at a time.
I highly recommend (for your time sake) that you just cut the letters out in big (sometimes un-even) squares. And then the children can cut them into neater squares when they are doing the craft. This saves you time and allows you to have a bunch of letters ready to go.
Step 4: Making the Easy Paper Bow
This paper bow is so fun to make. It’s almost magical. Follow the steps below to glue the pieces together.
- start with the piece that looks a little like sunglasses
- pull each of the outer ends of the sunglasses to the center and glue it down (see image) – you made need to hold it in place for 30 seconds
- glue the new loop shape onto the shape that looks like two mermaid tails (see image) – you will need to put the glue under the loops
- add glue to the middle of your new shape and wrap the rectangle around both pieces of paper. Also glue the rectangle in the back (see image)
If this paper bow is too complicated for a younger child, consider using a sticky Christmas bow from the Dollar Store:
Step 5: How to Make The Easy Ornament
- choose which word you will spell out on your ornament
- collect (or cut out) the letters you need
- leave a space the size of three of your fingers at the top of your green rectangle – it’s a space to add something to hang your ornament from the tree
- glue your bow onto the green rectangle directly under the space you left
- arrange the letters onto the green rectangle (from top to bottom) under your bow – make sure they fit and everything is spelled correctly.
- glue your letters onto the green rectangle to make the word you chose
- cut any extra paper from the bottom of your green rectangle if it’s too long
Add The Rubber Band Hanger
- flip your ornament over
- thread the rubber band onto the top
- fold the extra piece of paper down over the rubber band
- glue the folded sheet of paper in place
- don’t forget to write your name on the back!
And you’re finished!
This is such a fun Christmas craft for kids. These scrabble ornaments are a perfect Chirstmas Party Craft or Classroom Holiday craft!
More Christmas Crafts
If you liked this craft, check out some of my other Christmas Crafts:
- Simple Paper Ornaments for a Group of Kids
- Paper Truck Christmas Craft
- Scrap Paper Christmas Tree with PDF
- Holiday Lights Scavenger Hunt
- Easy Santa Craft with Printable
- Winter Tree Snow Globe Craft
As always, I try to make my crafts fast, easy & inexpensive. Enjoy!
Download the Free Ornament Craft Printable
Enter your info below for the free download and other awesome freebies found in my newsletter (your address will never be shared or sold, NO Spam! you can unsubscribe anytime):