Use wax paper and glue to make this easy tissue paper heart suncatcher. Find step-by-step instructions and Free Templates for Craft Printables on CraftingJeannie.com!
Get the Free Heart Suncatcher Printable below and you will be able to make enough supplies for a group of 20 kids (or more!) with less than 10 minutes of cutting.
CRAFTING SECRET: No need for sticky contact paper that’s hard to cut. Staple the free template to wax paper and cut out LOTS of hearts at one time. This is a perfect Valentine’s Day craft for your classroom, preschool, daycare, scouts or group of kids.
Watch the Valentine Heart Suncatcher video and see how easy it is to make the supplies and assemble this easy suncatcher:
Did you know that suncatchers were first made by Native Americans? Read more at Wikipedia.com.
Here’s What You Need
Here’s your Easy Heart Suncatcher Craft supply list (This post contains affiliate links to the products mentioned. Read my disclosure policy for more information):
- Free Heart Suncatcher Printable <— Get it Here!
- tissue paper
- wax paper
- school glue, paintbrush, & container with water
Step 1: Download and Print the Free Valentine Suncatcher Template
Download the Free Heart Suncatcher Printable. In the next step, learn how to quickly cut out as many shapes as you need.
Step 2: Staple and Cut Out the Sun Catcher Hearts
Once you have the heart sun catcher template printed out, staple it to wax paper and cut out multiple shapes at a time.
So, did you know, you can staple together 10 pieces of paper and cut out 10 shapes at a time?! With wax paper you might even be able to cut out MORE than ten! That’s my SECRET to fast & easy crafting.
Stapling the paper is very important because it makes sure it doesn’t move as you cut. The more staples the better.
Step 3: Cut Out Tissue Paper Pieces
Fold your tissue paper and stack it together. You will be able to cut out multiple tissue paper squares at a time.
Tip: Make sure you make a small cut on each end to remove the fold. Otherwise you will have pieces that are odd shapes with folds in them.
Step 4: How to Assemble
The kids will have so much fun making this easy Valentine’s suncatcher!
I recommend having a suncatcher that is already finished so the children can see what the final version will look like.
- Paint glue onto your wax paper heart and start to add the tissue paper squares.
- As you add your tissue paper, it’s OK if it overlaps but try not to let it bunch up.
- Fill the heart with tissue paper squares, try to keep the tissue paper on the heart and not over the sides (it’s ok to overlap).
- When your heart is full, we are going to glue another wax paper heart on top. So, paint a layer of glue over your entire tissue paper heart.
- Glue a second wax paper heart on top of your finished tissue paper heart.
- Finally, to finish your sun catcher, you can trim any tissue paper that is sticking out of your heart.
- Use a post-it note or sharpie to put your name on the back
- You’re finished! The best part is, you don’t have to wait for it to dry to hang it in the window!
And you’re finished!
This is such a fun and simple Valentine’s Day craft for kids. This Heart Sun Catcher is perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or any heart or love themed lesson. And it’s easy enough for preschool, elementary, Scouts or just a fun craft at home idea.
More Valentine’s Day Crafts
If you liked this craft, check out some of my other Valentine’s Day Crafts:
- Valentine’s Tree with Hearts
- Avocado Guy Craft
- I Love You to Pieces Craft
- Heart Popsicle Stick Craft
- Valentine Owl Craft
- Truck Craft with a Pocket
- Valentine Rocket Ship Craft
- Tissue Paper Flowers and Cup Vase
As always, I try to make my crafts fast, easy & inexpensive. Enjoy!